Traveling in Georgia for Independence Day weekend? Plan your drive ahead of time to avoid traffic.
Waze, a traffic and navigational app, pulled data from users to determine the peak traffic times for metro Atlanta drivers on Fourth of July weekend.
Worst times to drive in Atlanta on Fourth of July weekend, according to Waze:
- Thursday, June 30: 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Friday, July 1: 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Best times to drive in Atlanta on Fourth of July weekend, according to Waze:
- Saturday, July 2: All day
Waze was not able to offer predictions for Sunday, July 3 and Monday, July 4 this year. However, in 2014, Waze saw a spike in traffic on July 4 from 10 p.m. to midnight and a spike in traffic from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. the next day, Sunday, July 5.
Waze predicts that traffic jams will increase by about a third and that there will also be 17% more accidents on the road on Friday, July 1.
There will also be a series of construction delays and road closures Independence Day weekend.
Peachtree Road from Buckhead to Midtown will be closed on Monday, July 4 for the AJC Peachtree Road Race. The course starts at Lenox Square and travels down Peachtree to 10th Street. The world’s largest 10k will end in Piedmont Park. Street closures will begin at 3:00 a.m. and last until noon.
Read more about Fourth of July in Atlanta:
- Things to do Fourth of July weekend in metro Atlanta
- Where to buy Fourth of July fireworks in metro Atlanta
- 4th of July specials at your favorite Atlanta restaurants
- Fireworks safety: An age guide to having a fun Fourth of July
Read more about travel in Georgia:
- Why Atlanta airport officials don’t want you doing this trick to bypass security lines
- Survival guide for those long Atlanta airport lines
- 10 often-overlooked beaches near Atlanta
- This is the cheapest chain to get gas in Georgia