More than 38 million Americans will travel on Memorial Day weekend this year, according to reports. More than 1 million of those will be in Georgia.
Waze, a traffic and navigational app, pulled data from over half a million users to determine the peak traffic times for metro Atlanta drivers on Memorial Day weekend.
Worst times to drive on Memorial Day weekend in Atlanta, according to Waze:
- Thursday, May 26: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 27: 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 31: 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Best times to drive on Memorial Day weekend, according to Waze:
- Saturday, May 28: All day
- Sunday, May 29: All day
Friday sees the biggest increase in traffic jam incidents while Saturday has the lowest levels of traffic all weekend, the app says. Drivers are more likely to get into an accident on the Tuesday after Memorial Day than any other day that weekend. You can see a live map of traffic incidents here.
The highest number of traffic deaths on Georgia roads during a Memorial Day holiday weekend occurred in 2005 when 32 people were killed in crashes, according to previous reports by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The lowest number, five, was recorded in 2010.
- 7 things to know about travel during the Memorial Day weekend
- Atlanta gas prices rising for Memorial Day 2016
- Why Atlanta airport officials don’t want you doing this trick to bypass security lines
- Survival guide for those long Atlanta airport lines
- 10 often-overlooked beaches near Atlanta
- This is the cheapest chain to get gas in Georgia