Gwinnett commissioners this week approved construction contracts for various sidewalk and intersection improvements to be funded with the one-percent Special Purpose Local Option Sales tax.
About two total miles of sidewalks will be constructed at the following locations to fill gaps between existing sidewalks in the Lilburn area:
- Along the north side of Burns Road from Beaver Ruin Road to East Johns Road
- Along both sides of Dickens Road from Indian Trail-Lilburn Road to Indian Way
- Along both sides of Beaver Ruin Road from Shady Drive to Beaver Ruin Court.
The $1.1 million contract was awarded to low bidder Summit Construction.
The following improvements are also planned for two intersections:
- The addition of another left turn lane onto Lawrenceville Suwanee Road from Walther Boulevard, creating dual left turn lanes, and lengthening the left turn lane from Lawrenceville Suwanee onto Walther.
- Adding a right turn lane on Cruse Road northbound at Pleasant Hill Road.
Both projects include the upgrading of pedestrian and traffic signals. CMES Inc. was the lowest bidder at $732,392.
Work on all three projects is expected to be complete by the end of the year.