A sizable slate of road construction work is planned this weekend for the Downtown Connector and I-285, but Mother Nature could play a spoiler (or a savior, depending on how you look at it).
A warning to motorists: if the work proceeds as planned, the projects will require lane closures, which will cause traffic delays. The five-day forecast showed a 20 percent chance of rain Saturday and a 40 percent chance of rain on Sunday, as of mid-morning Friday.
A rundown of the roadwork are as follows:
- On I-75/I-85, four northbound and southbound lanes will close from 10th/14th/17th Street to Abernathy Boulevard from 9 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday.
- Part of the ramp from I-75/I-85 southbound to I-20 eastbound will close from 9 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday for bridge work.
- On I-285, one northbound and southbound lane and part of an entrance and exit ramps from Ga. 12/ U.S. 278/ Covington Highway to Chamblee Tucker Road will close nightly from 9 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday for striping.
- On the southwest side of I-285, two southbound and two northbound lanes will close from the I-85 interchange to South Atlanta Road from 9 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday.
- One eastbound and one westbound lane will close on I-285 at Flat Shoals Road from 9 p.m. Saturday until 5 a.m. Monday.
- On U.S. 78, one eastbound and one westbound lane will close from Montreal Road to Memorial Drive nightly from 9 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday.
- On Georgia (State Route) 400, one northbound and one southbound lane will close at Northridge from 10 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday.
- On I-20, three westbound lanes will close from Lee Street to Langhorn Street and two eastbound lanes will close from Langhorn Street to Windsor Street from 9 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday.
- Also on I-20, two westbound lanes from Alcovy Road to Ga. 12/U.S. 278 and the ramp from Ga. 12/ U.S. 278 to I-20 will close continuously from 9 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday.
- On I-85, three northbound and southbound lanes will close from Ga. 139/ Riverdale Road to Cleveland Avenue nightly from 9 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday for striping.
- Sign structure work on I-75 will require two southbound lane closures and one northbound lane closure at the Ga. 120 Loop / North Marietta Parkway from 8 p.m. Sunday until 5 a.m. Monday.
- The Express Lanes project will require two lane closures on I-75 northbound and southbound at Hickory Grove Road from 9 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Sunday.
- Work on the Express Lanes will also require part of the I-285 westbound collector-distributer lane to I-75 southbound to close from 9 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Sunday.
- On SR 154/ Memorial Drive, one lane will close between Moreland Avenue and Wilkinson Drive and one lane will close on Ga. 154/ Memorial Drive between East Lake Drive and Candler Road. Both closures are from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Saturday.